Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Beer Review: LA-31 Boucanée Smoked Wheat Ale

New to my favorite package store in Mobile, Cottage Hill Package, is the LA-31 line of beers by Bayou Teche Brewery in southern Louisiana. Boucanée smoked wheat ale is brewed with cherry-wood smoked wheat. It pours a beautifully clear copper with just the slightest hint of foam that's gone in an instant, leaving not a trace of lacing. The aroma is malty and slightly sweet with a light smoky scent that intensifies as it warms. The smoky flavor is distinctive but not overpowering. It's bold but super smooth with a bit of bready malt and a hint of sweetness from the cherry-wood. It may be my mind playing tricks on me with thoughts of smoked sausage, but I get a little saltiness on the finish. Boucanée is crisp and appropriately carbonated. The mouthfeel is light but satisfying. This brew would compliment a variety of Louisiana favorites such as sausage gumbo and barbecue. I definitely see a six-pack of smoky deliciousness in my future and can't wait to taste and review the LA-31 Grenade (pronounced grruh-nod) that's currently residing in my fridge. Boucanée has an ABV of 5.7%. Rating: A

No comments:

Post a Comment