Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Party In The U.S.A.?

hy·poc·ri·sy [hi-pok-ruh-see]
–noun, plural -sies.

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.

I am ashamed at the recent behavior of my fellow Americans. It's been almost a decade since I considered myself a religious person. However, lack of spirituality does not also mean a lack of morals. Celebrating the death of any man is wrong.

This past Sunday evening, President Obama stood before our nation to declare that Osama bin Laden had been killed by U.S. military forces in Pakistan. Almost immediately, the celebrations began. I just searched for "celebrating the death of bin Laden" on Google and, in 0.19 seconds, found over 50,000,000 images of "patriots" hoisting beers and the American flag. I find many of these images disturbingly similar to those seen after September 11, 2001 of radical Muslims celebrating the successful attacks on the World Trade Centers.

Is this what we've become?

Is this how we want the rest of the world to view us?

How in the world is this boastful and jubilant reaction going to put an end to the hatred and violence?

Now, don't misunderstand. My heart happily skipped a beat when I heard the news, and I can't help but laugh at some of the jokes I've heard; but, you're not going to see me in the streets wearing a party hat and shouting anti-Muslim slurs in a drunken stupor. I will not be another reason for the radicals of the world to hate us.

No comments:

Post a Comment