Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Macaroni & Cheese: Amy's vs. Stouffer's

For as long as I can recall, macaroni and cheese has been my go-to comfort food. Unfortunately my artistic skills do not extend to the culinary arts. I've tried just about every boxed and/or frozen mac' and cheese available.

Rice Mac & Cheese from Amy's Kitchen is the best I've found by far. Made with organic, gluten-free rice pasta and real cheddar cheese, it's become a regular in my freezer. I'm not restricted to a gluten-free diet, but have found that rice pasta is quite tender and more filling than traditional pasta. Amy's sauce is rich and cheesy, as any comfort food should be.

Compared with Stouffer's frozen Macaroni & Cheese, Amy's is both better tasting and a bit healthier, with much less sodium as well as more protein and iron per serving. As you can see below, Amy's and Stouffer's have the same amount of fat per serving, but Amy's serving size is larger. Neither product contains preservatives or trans fat. Amy's clearly has twice the cholesterol of Stouffer's, but still considerably less than that of a single large egg yolk.

Amy's Kitchen Rice Macaroni & Cheese


Stouffer's Macaroni & Cheese


I recommend Amy's Rice Mac & Cheese to all, not just to those with gluten-free diets. And for vegans, Amy's offers a gluten-free Rice Macaroni with Non-Dairy Soy Cheeze.  

No comments:

Post a Comment