Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Chipotle Ale & Makin' Bacon

Rogue's Chipotlé Ale pours golden with a creamy two-finger head. The aroma is warm and inviting - spicy, smoky and slightly sweet. The flavor is spicy, slightly sweet, and super smoky with hoppy and malty undertones. It's mildy crisp and appropriately carbonated. Like a good pepper, the heat is practically addicting, yet not overpowering. Chipotlé Ale is by far the best spiced ale I've had the pleasure of drinking. Rogue recommends blending Chipotlé Ale with my personal favorite, Chocolate Stout, for a molé black and tan. I will definitely be giving this a try next time I get my hands on a bottle. 5.5% ABV.
Rating: A+

This deliciously smoky brew and a recent trip to the BBQ Championship & Hog Wild Festival have inspired my husband and I to cook up some chocolate-covered bacon. 

1 lb thick-cut bacon strips cut in half
1 lb dark chocolate chips
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup chili powder
coarse sea salt to taste 

Temper chocolate in a double boiler while cooking bacon to desired doneness. I prefer mine chewy. Use a fork to combine brown sugar and chili powder in a shallow bowl. While hot, coat both sides of bacon in brown sugar and chili powder. Then, dip bacon in tempered chocolate. Lay flat on Silpat or wax paper. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt before chocolate sets. Use leftover brown sugar and chili powder mixture for dry rub. 

Thanks to my husband for cooking and to our brother for bringing the beer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment